You are each responsible for posting a question you may have about the novel and/or replying to a question posted. Please be clear when posing a question and please use supporting evidence (page #'s) when answering.
When Marlow tells the story about himself as a little boy he mentions that he was particularly fascinated by Africa on the map. Did he want to go explore Africa, like to be the first to see a certain area, or did he simply want to be in Africa, like to just get an exotic place? And are the references to darkness like black jokes or something or was it just assumed back then that Africa was full of danger and evil?
His references to darkness are not black jokes, he assumed that Africa was full of evil. Marlow says that he was fascinated by the snake-looking river and the archetype of a snake is that of sin and evil.
So does that mean that he is attracted to evil and sin of the snake like river? If those are the connotations then it seems like there must be another reason that he wants to go there, right?
1) Why does Marlow throw his new shoes overboard when the helmsman dies after the attack on the boat? 2) Why does Marlow lie to Kurtz' "Intended" about Kurtz' last words? Did Marlow not want to reveal that Kurtz realized that his life was corrupt in the end, even though his fiancee (possibly representative of European society?) believed he was such a prodigy?
I think Conrad is anti-imperialism because Marlow goes into the Congo with idealized views of Kurtz and imperialism, but ends up just finding an insane man, who is greedy and will do anything to get ivory. Conrad also shows the natives being described as objects, especially Kurtz' mistress as a statue, etc.
The book keeps on bringing up the devil. For example, it says "devil of violence", "devil of greed and "devil of hot desire". Is this referring to imperialism?
Throughout the book, fog and smoke repeatedly block Marlow's vision to the sites and people on the borders of the river. I think this is done to emphasize Marlow's blindness in this expedition and how he is forced to make judgements based on nothing but blurry, external appearances. What does this have to do with the plot of the book?
On the last page of the book, Marlow wonders what would happen if he "had rendered Kurtz the justice which was his due?" What does that mean? Is he talking about punishing Kurtz for the people that he has taken advantage of or hurt by conquering them?
Elissa, I think that is what he means, kurtz has been ruthless during his expedition and marlow probably wishes that he could do justice to the situation somehow.
Rebecca, I think these "devils" do refer to imperialism, mostly because violence, greed, and hot desire are sins that stem from imperialism. I think this is a good example of the literary archetypes we spoke about in class.
hey from around pages 43-50 im confused on what is going on because it seems as if the author is going back and forth between thh story and the men sitting on the boat talking about the story and I'm just a little confused on what is exactly happening
Rebecca, I also think that the "devil" is referring to imperialism because imperialism often has connotations that can parallel those of the devil. Like Ina said, the violence and greed associated with imperialism can relate to the devil because they both deal with these aspects of wickedness and wrongdoing.
uhh sory about the lateness, but sure, Corey. Kicking off chapter 3, Marlow recounts his first conversation with the Russian. he continues to describe him as a harlequin (jester/fool), and listens to him tell of how Kurtz must be taken from this place, regardless of his (the Russian's) own grim situation. Marlow proceeds to describe him as a man of incredibly simple motivation, as if he knows no better, and says that ultimately, he "does not envy him his devotion to Kurtz," hinting that his adoration was merely rooted in blind faith. 50 closes with their contrasting opinions on the Russian's and Kurtz's apparent relationship; Marlowe believes them to be two coincidentally related beings (the "fatalism" mentioned in the preceding paragraph"), while the Russian naively considers them legitimate counterparts. 51 continues this, basically outlining the outpost's (and its most recent inhabitants') history. this includes Kurtz's two illnesses, his "missions," and threats on the Russian's life.
crap. this is becoming lengthy. I'm quitting with the detail.
discussion of the pair's patchy relationship continues for the length of 52, when Marlow suddenly realizes that what he had assumed to be knobs atop fence posts outside the station were actually severed heads, placed by Kurtz himself. as Marlow explains, these were simple testaments to Kurtz's lack of proper discretion and altered mindset. The Russian goes on to explain how the natives were essentially under Kurtz's control, and that the heads were those of "rebels," stirring Marlow into protest at the new subjectivity of the title.
as the sun begins to set midway through pg 54, the pilgrims return bearing Kurtz on an improvised stretcher. in a final moment of anxiety, the natives emerge from the forest, poised for an attack, but are sent away with a wave of Kurtz's arm.
Sorry about the length, but I got really carried away. I doubt you'll even see this tonight, or that it helped in the least, but regardless, Corey, it's my gift to you. Happy Birthday.
I'm not really sure if I needed to do two posts but what I really found interesting was the Kurtz fiance was never named. She was only refered to by "my intended."
I'm also sorry about the latness! To answer alyki i think he refers to her as "my intended" because the all the people in the book dont really respect women...remember the AP questions we did in class today...in one of the passages he says that women should stay inside "their world"
to answer debbie's question. the man hit with a spear spilt his blood on marlow's shoe. he commented on how he felt his feet becoming warm and thennoticing the man.
Why exactly do the cannables not eat everyone on the ship?
27 comments:
Why does Conrad not have Marlow as the narrator since it is Marlow's story that is being told?
Dear Alex,
bc he's a crazy person.
from,
geoff
When Marlow tells the story about himself as a little boy he mentions that he was particularly fascinated by Africa on the map. Did he want to go explore Africa, like to be the first to see a certain area, or did he simply want to be in Africa, like to just get an exotic place? And are the references to darkness like black jokes or something or was it just assumed back then that Africa was full of danger and evil?
Dear Geoff,
His references to darkness are not black jokes, he assumed that Africa was full of evil. Marlow says that he was fascinated by the snake-looking river and the archetype of a snake is that of sin and evil.
From, Alex
So does that mean that he is attracted to evil and sin of the snake like river? If those are the connotations then it seems like there must be another reason that he wants to go there, right?
1) Why does Marlow throw his new shoes overboard when the helmsman dies after the attack on the boat?
2) Why does Marlow lie to Kurtz' "Intended" about Kurtz' last words? Did Marlow not want to reveal that Kurtz realized that his life was corrupt in the end, even though his fiancee (possibly representative of European society?) believed he was such a prodigy?
I think Conrad is anti-imperialism because Marlow goes into the Congo with idealized views of Kurtz and imperialism, but ends up just finding an insane man, who is greedy and will do anything to get ivory. Conrad also shows the natives being described as objects, especially Kurtz' mistress as a statue, etc.
The book keeps on bringing up the devil. For example, it says "devil of violence", "devil of greed and "devil of hot desire". Is this referring to imperialism?
Throughout the book, fog and smoke repeatedly block Marlow's vision to the sites and people on the borders of the river. I think this is done to emphasize Marlow's blindness in this expedition and how he is forced to make judgements based on nothing but blurry, external appearances. What does this have to do with the plot of the book?
On the last page of the book, Marlow wonders what would happen if he "had rendered Kurtz the justice which was his due?" What does that mean? Is he talking about punishing Kurtz for the people that he has taken advantage of or hurt by conquering them?
Elissa, I think that is what he means, kurtz has been ruthless during his expedition and marlow probably wishes that he could do justice to the situation somehow.
Rebecca, I think these "devils" do refer to imperialism, mostly because violence, greed, and hot desire are sins that stem from imperialism. I think this is a good example of the literary archetypes we spoke about in class.
hey from around pages 43-50 im confused on what is going on because it seems as if the author is going back and forth between thh story and the men sitting on the boat talking about the story and I'm just a little confused on what is exactly happening
Rebecca,
I also think that the "devil" is referring to imperialism because imperialism often has connotations that can parallel those of the devil. Like Ina said, the violence and greed associated with imperialism can relate to the devil because they both deal with these aspects of wickedness and wrongdoing.
I have a question. Marlow continues to speak about Kurtz, but then eventually reveals that Kurtz died. How and when does Kurtz die?
I just don't understand where the story starts off. Does it start off on the boat or in Africa?
I think the book starts off on the boat because arent they are making their journey to the Congo River to meet Kurtz?
Thats what I thought but then I dont know what happened to Kurtz...
another thing i dont understand is how they find out about kurtz, was it the guy in the beginning or people on the boat
can somebody explain what occured from pages 50-54 please
uhh sory about the lateness, but sure, Corey.
Kicking off chapter 3, Marlow recounts his first conversation with the Russian. he continues to describe him as a harlequin (jester/fool), and listens to him tell of how Kurtz must be taken from this place, regardless of his (the Russian's) own grim situation. Marlow proceeds to describe him as a man of incredibly simple motivation, as if he knows no better, and says that ultimately, he "does not envy him his devotion to Kurtz," hinting that his adoration was merely rooted in blind faith.
50 closes with their contrasting opinions on the Russian's and Kurtz's apparent relationship; Marlowe believes them to be two coincidentally related beings (the "fatalism" mentioned in the preceding paragraph"), while the Russian naively considers them legitimate counterparts. 51 continues this, basically outlining the outpost's (and its most recent inhabitants') history. this includes Kurtz's two illnesses, his "missions," and threats on the Russian's life.
crap. this is becoming lengthy. I'm quitting with the detail.
discussion of the pair's patchy relationship continues for the length of 52, when Marlow suddenly realizes that what he had assumed to be knobs atop fence posts outside the station were actually severed heads, placed by Kurtz himself. as Marlow explains, these were simple testaments to Kurtz's lack of proper discretion and altered mindset. The Russian goes on to explain how the natives were essentially under Kurtz's control, and that the heads were those of "rebels," stirring Marlow into protest at the new subjectivity of the title.
as the sun begins to set midway through pg 54, the pilgrims return bearing Kurtz on an improvised stretcher. in a final moment of anxiety, the natives emerge from the forest, poised for an attack, but are sent away with a wave of Kurtz's arm.
Sorry about the length, but I got really carried away. I doubt you'll even see this tonight, or that it helped in the least, but regardless, Corey, it's my gift to you.
Happy Birthday.
Sorry Mrs. Lopez for doing this so late. I actually forgot about the fact that we have to post. But ... I have a couple of questions to ask anyway.
Umm well first off let's start with Kurt'z dying words. What could he mean when he whispered "The horror, the horror?"
I'm not really sure if I needed to do two posts but what I really found interesting was the Kurtz fiance was never named. She was only refered to by "my intended."
Oh and is Marlow sympathetic towards the natives and how does he views them. What role do the natives play in the book?
I'm also sorry about the latness!
To answer alyki i think he refers to her as "my intended" because the all the people in the book dont really respect women...remember the AP questions we did in class today...in one of the passages he says that women should stay inside "their world"
Also, back to what Lexa and Rebecca said, I'm pretty sure the book starts off on the boat
to answer debbie's question. the man hit with a spear spilt his blood on marlow's shoe. he commented on how he felt his feet becoming warm and thennoticing the man.
Why exactly do the cannables not eat everyone on the ship?
Post a Comment