You are each responsible for posting a question you may have about the novel and/or replying to a question posted. Please be clear when posing a question and please use supporting evidence (page #'s) when answering.
45 comments:
Anonymous
said...
How does Marlow really feel about imperialism? Is he a part of it for the money? Does he feel bad about what imperialism is doing to the natives?
On page 13 Marlow is talking about the colonists and says, "I foresaw that in the blinding sunshine of that land I would become acquainted with a flabby, pretending, weak-eyed devil of rapacious and pitiless folly." So I think that he doesn't have strong feelings towards imperialism due to the colonists.
In response to Daniela...I think that it has to do with the fascination the crew has (including the unknown main narrator)with Marlow's story. Maybe the crew, and especially the beginning narrator, get lost in Marlow's description. It is almost as if he doesn't want to interrupt anything. This is definetly a stretch, but just an idea.
When it comes to Imperialism, it seems that Marlow isn't exactly a big fan of it, but not because of the usual reasons. He thinks that the Europeans using imperialism on Africa makes them look really bad to the rest of the world countries and less like a civilized and organized society. At the same time he kinda convinces them into more imperialism over the country because its so easy to do to them since they have no laws and are so uncivilized. He really isn't doing it for the money. Its more of a personal, mental gain for him in his mind. However, he does feel bad for the natives and on page 14 he shows his sympathy and sadness by saying, " They were not enemies, they wee not criminals, they were nothing earthly now, nothing but black shadows of disease and starvation lying confusedly in greenish gloom." you can tell here that Marlow feels bad for them because of how they were treated badly and imperialized.
I think that there is an unknown narrator because it allows the reader to see the emotions that Marlow feels when he speaks. It is obvious that sometimes he is excited with enthusiasm while others his tone is more macabre. It also makes the book like a tale, in which the narrator is telling the tale of Marlow which is pretty sweet.
Marlow says that "the dark places of the earth" are those that he wanted to explore. The heart of darkness is possibly the unknown places. So maybe the "shadows" are the places that he wishes to bring light to by exploring.
On page 40-42, when the helmsman gets struck on the side by a spear and dies, why is Marlow unremorseful? Why is he only concerned with taking off his shoes and socks that got bloody? Is he trying to hide his pain, or does he actually not care?
Why do the Russians seem to know so much about Kurtz and Marlow doesn't even though he is the one dying to meet Kurtz? Wouldnt Marlow know something about him? And why does Kurtz want them to think he was dead?
In part II, there is a fog but it goes away and comes back very quickly. In part III, Marlow's view of the shore is covered by the smoke. Are the smoke and the fog related? And could they be a metaphor for something else?
In response to Alli, I think that Conrad is trying to suggest that women appear to be helpless and oblivious as noted when Marlow says his aunt is naive. However, despite this appearance they are indeed quite influential and hold positions of power. This is seen as Marlow's aunt got his job for him, and the accountant at the station, appears to be a success, because a woman tends to his appearance.
Okay I am changing my mind from before-The heart of darkness is all the corruption and pain involved in Marlow's voyage. I also think that Marlow's heart is full of darkness and longing to meet Mr. Kurtz, even though it seems impossible
A second response to Daniela's first comment- I do not think that Marlow is into this journey for the imperialism or the money. He stated on page 8 that the fat man was afraid that Marlow would reveal any trading secrets, while Marlow was not going to. Also, Marlow stated earlier in the book that he was drawn to this voyage because of his childhood dreams, and the fact that the area of the snake-like river was previously blank on a map, thus making Marlow want to travel on the river despite the money. As for the colonists, Marlow witnessed a tribal leader being stabbed, and did not step in, so I don’t believe he cares much for them either.
Why did Marlow throw the helmsman overboard? Even if he thought cannibalism was wrong, had he given the body to the natives, it would have ensured his own safety for the near future.
At the beginning of Marlow's story, he says "the conquest of the earth" is "not a pretty thing." He does claim, however, that the idea is what redeems the action. He says it's "something you can set up, and bow down too, and offer sacrifice to..."
How does an idea offer redemption to a barbaric action? In what ways can a person offer sacrifice to an idea - especially one concerning "the conquest of the earth"?
I would have to assume that Marlow had some idea of what he was going to see on his conquests through Africa. Why would he want such a job when the sites of all the horrible things make him want to leave. I know he wanted to see the world and its uncharted areas but he could have chosen any other places that don't involve slavery and unsightful things.
I agree with Julie's idea that the women are still influential and hold positions of power. Additional support is provided by the fact that Marlow describes these women as guarding the door of darkness and introducing others to the unknown (page 8). This shows how they really do hold power. He also describes one of the women looking indifferent, which supports how women are at the same time viewed as oblivious.
In response to Rikki's question, I think at the time he didn't care. He stated that he was morbidly anxious to change his shoes and socks. He knew he wasn't being remorseful. In addition, this all happened during a time of chaos, which may have affected his feelings. Also, Mr. Kurtz's possible death disturbed him more than the helmsman's. Marlow went on to comment on his feelings towards that, not his reaction to the helmsman's death and he didn't even know if Mr. Kurtz was actually dead. Still, at the same time he decides to throw the helmsman overboard which I think shows his respect, this also relates to Julie's question.
Hey Alli! I don't think Marlow is racist, I think it's just the way people talked and stuff. If you look at page 14, he basically said that they weren't enemies and kind of showed some sympathy. And he gave a guy a biscuit.
Going back to whether Marlow is for or against imperialism, I agree with Holli that Marlow does not seem to really support it. His journey seemed to be more for the adventure, like the unknown places on the map that interested him. Also, when he describes the environment around page 32, he described it as "monstrous and free" rather than the "shackled form of a conquered monster" he was used to. This indicates that he enjoyed the freedom of the land there. Seeing the people suffering as a result of their treatment from imperialism also has an affect on him.
Is Marlow sexist? He states that women should be "out of it," and all women must stay in a beautiful, isolated world on page 44. This may have been the accepted view when the story took place.
Within the first few pages of the book, Marlow tells us, as well as his crew, that they probably don't want to hear his story about his life changing journey. However, he goes on to tell his whole story in great detail. What does Marlow himself get out of re-telling his story if he understands this experience and already grew from it?
I'm a little confused as to why they are looking for Kurtz in the first place. My initial impression was that they idolized Kurtz as this great manager and Marlow was in search of him to see what all the hype was. Now I am thinking differently as I feel the central station manager is fearful of Kurtz uprising and taking over the company and is trying to take advantage of his rumored sickness. Which is the real reason?
Nick, I think the real reason that they are looking for Kurtz is that the manager is fearful of Kurtz' imposing power and doesn't want to lose his own job.
On page 24, the narrator interjects to say that Marlow was "silent for a while." Why does he now decide to talk when he hadn't interrupted Marlow's story since the very beginning?
I agree with jake, that there only searching for him becuase they don't want to lose their job and they are all fearful of him. Although, in the beginning I was under the impression that they were searching for him becuase he was glorified and they all wanted to see him.
Everything occurred in "the heart of darkness" in africa. But I think that Kurtz in himself had a "heart of darkness". He was crazy but I feel that the fact he didn't care about anything or anyone but himself really proved how dark hearted he was.. I feel that the book was titled heart of darkness for more than just the location. Does anyone think that Kurtz might have been a less obvious symbol for heart of darkness in the book?
Well Jacob Singher Gellerman, I think the real reason that the narrator chooses to "interject" at this moment in time because it's vital to stress the importance of how Marlow was dumbfounded.
In response to Alli, I don't the Marlow was meant to be racist, but parts of the book are. The white woman who was holding the light(?) in the dark was a symbol of civilization, but Kurtz woman who was dressed weird with the rings was more of a degrading symbol. Plus there were racial slurs.
In response to Alli's question, I agree with Julie about the influence of women on the story. But, I believe that Marlow's statements on the naivete of women reflect a belief that ignorance towards the "Heart of Darkness" (or man's potential for savagery) is a way of saving oneself from the intoxicating desire (which seems to permeate throughout many of the main characters) to pursue it. Because of this idea he believes that women, through their apparent ignorance, become a beacon of light and hope to help those who are lost in the "Heart of Darkness" return to a civilized and sane state of mind, and therefore save them.
Conrad seems to view Imperialism as being hypocritical. These people are entering another land filled with what they believed to be "savages," and decided that they had to save them from their selves, and bring civilization to them. Yet as they get closer to the "Heart of Darkness," farther, and farther away from the security of ignorance and closer to the "Heart of Darkness" in the center of the African jungle, they lose their own civilized selves and culture, and become savages themselves. This is portrayed by Kurtz's decent into madness. This situation is similar to that in the novel The Lord of the flies.
> As from what I infer from the story, Heart of Darkness has two competing heroes, Marlow and Kurtz. What do you think is the purpose to having character settings? > Throughout the novel, ones physical stat has a direct inference to ones environment. How does physical illness relate to madness in this book?
45 comments:
How does Marlow really feel about imperialism? Is he a part of it for the money? Does he feel bad about what imperialism is doing to the natives?
Why did Conrad make the nameless man the "main narrator" instead of having the whole story be told by Marlow himself?
On page 13 Marlow is talking about the colonists and says, "I foresaw that in the blinding sunshine of that land I would become acquainted with a flabby, pretending, weak-eyed devil of rapacious and pitiless folly." So I think that he doesn't have strong feelings towards imperialism due to the colonists.
In response to Daniela...I think that it has to do with the fascination the crew has (including the unknown main narrator)with Marlow's story. Maybe the crew, and especially the beginning narrator, get lost in Marlow's description. It is almost as if he doesn't want to interrupt anything. This is definetly a stretch, but just an idea.
Yea I posted for the wrong period. oops
When it comes to Imperialism, it seems that Marlow isn't exactly a big fan of it, but not because of the usual reasons. He thinks that the Europeans using imperialism on Africa makes them look really bad to the rest of the world countries and less like a civilized and organized society. At the same time he kinda convinces them into more imperialism over the country because its so easy to do to them since they have no laws and are so uncivilized. He really isn't doing it for the money. Its more of a personal, mental gain for him in his mind. However, he does feel bad for the natives and on page 14 he shows his sympathy and sadness by saying, " They were not enemies, they wee not criminals, they were nothing earthly now, nothing but black shadows of disease and starvation lying confusedly in greenish gloom." you can tell here that Marlow feels bad for them because of how they were treated badly and imperialized.
I think that there is an unknown narrator because it allows the reader to see the emotions that Marlow feels when he speaks. It is obvious that sometimes he is excited with enthusiasm while others his tone is more macabre. It also makes the book like a tale, in which the narrator is telling the tale of Marlow which is pretty sweet.
So far Marlow has mentioned shadows three times, on pages 29, 36, and 40. What is the significance of shadows in this novel?
Why do all of the men seem to be mesmerized by Mr. Kurtz?
Marlow says that "the dark places of the earth" are those that he wanted to explore. The heart of darkness is possibly the unknown places. So maybe the "shadows" are the places that he wishes to bring light to by exploring.
What do women represent in the book? what does Marlow think of them?
is Marlow racist? because he says Negro and other derogatory statements
On page 40-42, when the helmsman gets struck on the side by a spear and dies, why is Marlow unremorseful? Why is he only concerned with taking off his shoes and socks that got bloody? Is he trying to hide his pain, or does he actually not care?
Why do the Russians seem to know so much about Kurtz and Marlow doesn't even though he is the one dying to meet Kurtz? Wouldnt Marlow know something about him? And why does Kurtz want them to think he was dead?
In part II, there is a fog but it goes away and comes back very quickly. In part III, Marlow's view of the shore is covered by the smoke. Are the smoke and the fog related? And could they be a metaphor for something else?
In response to Alli, I think that Conrad is trying to suggest that women appear to be helpless and oblivious as noted when Marlow says his aunt is naive. However, despite this appearance they are indeed quite influential and hold positions of power. This is seen as Marlow's aunt got his job for him, and the accountant at the station, appears to be a success, because a woman tends to his appearance.
Okay I am changing my mind from before-The heart of darkness is all the corruption and pain involved in Marlow's voyage. I also think that Marlow's heart is full of darkness and longing to meet Mr. Kurtz, even though it seems impossible
A second response to Daniela's first comment- I do not think that Marlow is into this journey for the imperialism or the money. He stated on page 8 that the fat man was afraid that Marlow would reveal any trading secrets, while Marlow was not going to. Also, Marlow stated earlier in the book that he was drawn to this voyage because of his childhood dreams, and the fact that the area of the snake-like river was previously blank on a map, thus making Marlow want to travel on the river despite the money. As for the colonists, Marlow witnessed a tribal leader being stabbed, and did not step in, so I don’t believe he cares much for them either.
Why did Marlow throw the helmsman overboard? Even if he thought cannibalism was wrong, had he given the body to the natives, it would have ensured his own safety for the near future.
At the beginning of Marlow's story, he says "the conquest of the earth" is "not a pretty thing." He does claim, however, that the idea is what redeems the action. He says it's "something you can set up, and bow down too, and offer sacrifice to..."
How does an idea offer redemption to a barbaric action? In what ways can a person offer sacrifice to an idea - especially one concerning "the conquest of the earth"?
I would have to assume that Marlow had some idea of what he was going to see on his conquests through Africa. Why would he want such a job when the sites of all the horrible things make him want to leave. I know he wanted to see the world and its uncharted areas but he could have chosen any other places that don't involve slavery and unsightful things.
I agree with Julie's idea that the women are still influential and hold positions of power. Additional support is provided by the fact that Marlow describes these women as guarding the door of darkness and introducing others to the unknown (page 8). This shows how they really do hold power. He also describes one of the women looking indifferent, which supports how women are at the same time viewed as oblivious.
In response to Rikki's question, I think at the time he didn't care. He stated that he was morbidly anxious to change his shoes and socks. He knew he wasn't being remorseful. In addition, this all happened during a time of chaos, which may have affected his feelings. Also, Mr. Kurtz's possible death disturbed him more than the helmsman's. Marlow went on to comment on his feelings towards that, not his reaction to the helmsman's death and he didn't even know if Mr. Kurtz was actually dead. Still, at the same time he decides to throw the helmsman overboard which I think shows his respect, this also relates to Julie's question.
Why did the "knitting old woman with the cat" pop into Marlows head, while he was searching for Mr. Kurtz?
Why doesn't Mr. Kurtz demeanor influence Marlow to change his attitude? For example, the way he treated the death of the helmsman.
Hey Alli! I don't think Marlow is racist, I think it's just the way people talked and stuff. If you look at page 14, he basically said that they weren't enemies and kind of showed some sympathy. And he gave a guy a biscuit.
On page 14, what's the significance of the "white worsted" around the guy's neck?
Going back to whether Marlow is for or against imperialism, I agree with Holli that Marlow does not seem to really support it. His journey seemed to be more for the adventure, like the unknown places on the map that interested him. Also, when he describes the environment around page 32, he described it as "monstrous and free" rather than the "shackled form of a conquered monster" he was used to. This indicates that he enjoyed the freedom of the land there. Seeing the people suffering as a result of their treatment from imperialism also has an affect on him.
Is there any connection between Marlow's illness in comparison to Mr. Kurtz death?
Is Marlow sexist? He states that women should be "out of it," and all women must stay in a beautiful, isolated world on page 44. This may have been the accepted view when the story took place.
Within the first few pages of the book, Marlow tells us, as well as his crew, that they probably don't want to hear his story about his life changing journey. However, he goes on to tell his whole story in great detail. What does Marlow himself get out of re-telling his story if he understands this experience and already grew from it?
I'm a little confused as to why they are looking for Kurtz in the first place. My initial impression was that they idolized Kurtz as this great manager and Marlow was in search of him to see what all the hype was. Now I am thinking differently as I feel the central station manager is fearful of Kurtz uprising and taking over the company and is trying to take advantage of his rumored sickness. Which is the real reason?
Nick, I think the real reason that they are looking for Kurtz is that the manager is fearful of Kurtz' imposing power and doesn't want to lose his own job.
Why, in the beginning of Part 2, do the manager and his uncle discuss Kurtz only within a short distance from Marlow so that he hears them?
On page 24, the narrator interjects to say that Marlow was "silent for a while." Why does he now decide to talk when he hadn't interrupted Marlow's story since the very beginning?
I agree with jake, that there only searching for him becuase they don't want to lose their job and they are all fearful of him. Although, in the beginning I was under the impression that they were searching for him becuase he was glorified and they all wanted to see him.
Everything occurred in "the heart of darkness" in africa. But I think that Kurtz in himself had a "heart of darkness". He was crazy but I feel that the fact he didn't care about anything or anyone but himself really proved how dark hearted he was.. I feel that the book was titled heart of darkness for more than just the location. Does anyone think that Kurtz might have been a less obvious symbol for heart of darkness in the book?
On page 9 why does the doctor ask Marlow to "measure his head?"
Well Jacob Singher Gellerman, I think the real reason that the narrator chooses to "interject" at this moment in time because it's vital to stress the importance of how Marlow was dumbfounded.
In response to Alli, I don't the Marlow was meant to be racist, but parts of the book are. The white woman who was holding the light(?) in the dark was a symbol of civilization, but Kurtz woman who was dressed weird with the rings was more of a degrading symbol. Plus there were racial slurs.
I believe the narrator interjects to exaggerate the silence. Marlow's intriguing story stops, leaving the others in suspense.
The narrator's interjection disrupts the story even more, making the pause even longer.
In response to Alli's question, I agree with Julie about the influence of women on the story. But, I believe that Marlow's statements on the naivete of women reflect a belief that ignorance towards the "Heart of Darkness" (or man's potential for savagery) is a way of saving oneself from the intoxicating desire (which seems to permeate throughout many of the main characters) to pursue it. Because of this idea he believes that women, through their apparent ignorance, become a beacon of light and hope to help those who are lost in the "Heart of Darkness" return to a civilized and sane state of mind, and therefore save them.
Conrad seems to view Imperialism as being hypocritical. These people are entering another land filled with what they believed to be "savages," and decided that they had to save them from their selves, and bring civilization to them. Yet as they get closer to the "Heart of Darkness," farther, and farther away from the security of ignorance and closer to the "Heart of Darkness" in the center of the African jungle, they lose their own civilized selves and culture, and become savages themselves. This is portrayed by Kurtz's decent into madness. This situation is similar to that in the novel The Lord of the flies.
> As from what I infer from the story, Heart of Darkness has two competing heroes, Marlow and Kurtz. What do you think is the purpose to having character settings?
> Throughout the novel, ones physical stat has a direct inference to ones environment. How does physical illness relate to madness in this book?
Post a Comment